Coronavirus Update

In response to rapidly developing public announcements related to Coronavirus, Cage & Miles can support consults and cases remotely due to our cutting edge technology for all employees and our cloud based firm management system. Our people can work remotely on all facets of client cases. In the unfortunate event that one or more of our people are exposed to the virus, our clients’ work does not need to stop. All client files are uploaded, secured and safely backed up on the cloud. We have contingency plans in place at our two offices to see that correspondence from the court, case professionals, opposing counsel, and service providers gets uploaded to our clients’ secured cloud file so our people can work remotely. We are ready, willing and able to keep your case moving forward during these uncertain times. Please contact us if you have questions about how public announcements affect your case. Please click here for more resources.

Rights of an Unwed Father in San Diego, California

These days, it’s not uncommon for children to be born out of wedlock. It became so common that questions began to arise across the country about a father’s rights to his child when he is not married to the child’s mother. In this article, we discuss the parental rights of unwed fathers and what needs to happen for fathers to exercise their rights.

When a child is born to married parents, the law automatically assumes the woman’s husband is the child’s biological and legal father. But if the mother and father are not married, or if the mother is legally married to another man, not the biological father, then paternity needs to be established before orders can be made for child support and custody.

Why Establish Paternity?

To “establish paternity” means to determine who a child’s legal father is. As we mentioned earlier, when a couple is married and a baby is born, paternity is automatic. But when the parents are not married, the unwed father has zero rights and responsibilities toward his child. This means the mother cannot ask for child support and the father cannot ask for custody or visitation until paternity is established. Paternity is generally established in one of two ways in San Diego and throughout California: 1) the unwed parents voluntarily sign a Declaration of Paternity form shortly after the child’s birth at the hospital or 2) through a DNA test and then a court order.

If there is any doubt about who the father is, the mother and presumed father should not sign the Declaration of Paternity form at the hospital. Instead, they should go to court and ask for genetic testing (a DNA test). Also, if a presumed father refuses to admit that he is the father of a child, the mother can go to court, and the court can order that the alleged father and the child submit to DNA testing.

Once paternity has been established, the biological and now legal father will have the same rights and responsibilities as a married father. Not only will he be responsible for child support, but he can seek custody or visitation orders.

Next: Child Custody in California: Best Interests of the Child Standard

We hope you found the information in this article helpful. If you need legal assistance with a paternity or child custody matter, please contact Cage & Miles.